Be a part of a revolutionary change
At PMI, we’ve chosen to do something incredible. We’re totally transforming our business, and building our future on smoke-free products with the power to improve the lives of a billion smokers worldwide.
With huge change, comes huge opportunity. So, wherever you join us, you’ll enjoy the freedom to dream up and deliver better, brighter solutions and the space to move your career forward in endlessly different directions.
External Affairs is a growing team, full of fresh opportunities. Our smoke-free transformation is completely changing the way we engage. We have stakeholders to talk to and brave new messages to share. We need talented people who are also excited by our sense of purpose to help expand our influence – on the media, legislators, health professionals, national governments and public policy-makers.
As our work evolves, there’s space to define your role and satisfy your professional curiosity. You’ll be working across functions surrounded and supported by experts in everything from fiscal affairs and illicit trade to sustainability and public health legislation. Join us and use your relationship-building skills for good: to change the lives of a billion smokers.
We are currently looking to hire a Manager, External Affairs to join our team in Washington, D.C. This person will play an active role in the biggest transformation in the history of our company.
You will report into the Director, External Affairs, and work as within the team to help lead engagement with U.S. stakeholders. You will also coordinate closely with internal business functions around the world to design policy strategies and messaging to advance the company’s policy agenda.
The Impact: As an integral member of the team, you will help develop, handle and execute our public policy agenda. In addition, you will advise management and other cross-functional teams concerning the policy implications of current events in the U.S.
• Under the direction of the Washington team, you will work closely with internal and external stakeholders to support global advocacy and policy objectives.
• Engage Capitol Hill, the Administration and key domestic and international stakeholders, and help manage member-based organizations
• Advise PMI leadership on policy risks and opportunities and develop and implement strategies accordingly. Collaborate with the External Affairs team to develop written content, such as policy position papers, legislative summaries, and written testimony.
• Provide outstanding support for Senior Leaders across the company to build relationships with key government officials, trade groups and other key industry partners and influencers.
• Develop superior government relations materials, including draft letters, submissions and leave-behinds.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent practical experience - advanced degree considered an advantage.
• Proven experience working within government, think tanks, public interest groups and/or manufacturing and consumer goods industry.
• Ideal candidate would have experience working on issues related to foreign affairs, health care, taxation, and/or agriculture policy.
• Bipartisan relationships or ability to work across the political spectrum is a must.
• Strong background in effective communication and relationship management along with excellent analytical and interpersonal skills.
You should be legally authorized to work in the US in order to apply for this role.
What we offer
Our success depends on the men and women who come to work every single day with a sense of purpose and an appetite for progress.
Join PMI and you too can:
• Seize the freedom to define your future and ours. We’ll empower you to take risks, experiment and explore.
• Be part of an inclusive, diverse culture, where everyone’s contribution is respected; collaborate with some of the world’s best people and feel like you belong.
• Pursue your ambitions and develop your skills with a global business – our staggering size and scale provides endless opportunities to progress.
• Take pride in delivering our promise to society: to improve the lives of a billion smokers.
PMI is an equal-opportunity employer.