Are you inquisitive, collaborative and self-motivated? Do you want to make a difference in our company and help us create something new? Are you able to take the lead, dealing with challenging timelines and working autonomously? If the answer is yes, ja, sim or igen, then we’d like to hear from you.
We are looking for a Sr. Manager of Scientific Engagement who will be playing a critical role in the transformation to a smoke-free Canada, enabling regulatory changes by bridging communications and government relations to increase the credibility of reduced-risk products (RRPs) as a better alternative to cigarettes for current smokers. This role is based in Toronto for Rothmans, Benson & Hedges (RBH), and an affiliate of PMI in Canada.
You will be leading outreach to key opinion leaders in the scientific, academic and public health sectors to broaden awareness of our transformation from cigarettes to RRPs for Canadians who choose not to quit and increase the acceptance and advocacy among scientific & medical community for harm-reduction approaches where governments make changes to treat RRPs more favorably than cigarettes to enable a switch to a smoke-free Canada.
You will be a strategic, influencer, trusted advisor, innovator and collaborative partner to archive the following accountabilities:
• Design & implement multi-year outreach strategy to support both corporate and departmental goals; establish & measure against stretch targets; takes a broader view to identify emerging risks and opportunities to the company’s transformation to a smoke-free future.
• Build Canada’s leading scientific network to generate leads, nurture & sustain genuine relationships, convert support into advocacy; serves as primary contact for engagement, enrolling company professionals as required; represents RBH as primary scientific voice in Canada, works alongside Government Relations & Communications.
• Be a trusted advisor to scientific community, being open, honest & transparent to for community to consider harm-reduction strategies & support regulatory changes.
• Identify, assess & develop new approaches to reach new contacts for scientific engagement; wiling to think outside the box of conventional perspectives; build or enhance tools to track and nurture network of KOLs over time; stay current
• Work in alignment with global SE community within PMI, with other functions at RBH and across the External Affairs team to work towards a common goal – increasing public awareness and acceptance of the role of technology to enable a smoke-free future through regulatory reform; share developments regularly with Communications, Government Relations & Marketing for insight as appropriate, consistent with Canadian laws & regulations.
• Inform RBH employees about developments in RRP-related science to build their knowledge, confidence & capacity as ambassadors for the transformation to a smoke-free future;
• More than 10 years’ experience in stakeholder relations, outreach, government or public affairs. Corporate experience, particularly in a publicly-traded multinational, preferred.
• More than 5 years’ experience at the manager level, contributing directly to organizational strategy.
• University education; science preferred but not required.
• Experience in public health, life sciences or pharmaceutical industry is an asset.
• Strong network of contacts in the science, academic and health-care sectors, or validated ability to develop a network quickly in a new industry.
• Strong people & influencing skills. Personable, engaging, influential presence to enroll others in a constructive conversation when they may initially be skeptical, indifferent or hostile.
• Superior language skills, natural storyteller & listener. Strong presentation skills, including public speaking, conference presentation, media interviews.
• Bilingualism (English/French) is preferred. Spanish is an asset.
• Works with passion, energy, enthusiasm and urgency. Wants to make an impact – and change the world.
• Proven ability to inspire changes in social, technical, and policy terms.
• Ability to work on complex, cross-functional and cross-jurisdictional initiatives with multi-disciplinary colleagues, including but not limited to: Legal; Marketing; Scientific Engagement; Communications; and Government Relations.
• Leadership experience & skills: ability to work and manage a team remotely across Canada, including goal setting, performance management, staffing & budget management.
• Experience with project management tools & customer relationship management (CRM) systems to track, monitor and adjust initiatives towards established milestones.
• Growth mindset and proven track record of continuous learning.
• Legally able to work in Canada.
Find a new path
We offer you a fresh perspective. Here, you will never stop exploring and discovering. We take on-the-job learning to another level, giving you every opportunity to develop your career and reach your full potential. This position will advance your experience with innovative technologies, services, and processes. Backed by a competitive salary and compensation package, you will work in a professional setting with clients and team members from all over the world.
Join a global market leader
We are the world’s leading international tobacco company, with six of the top 15 international brands and products sold in more than 180 markets. In addition to the manufacture and sale of cigarettes, including the number one global cigarette brand, and other tobacco products, PMI is engaged in the development and commercialization of Reduced-Risk Products (“RRPs”).
RRPs is the term PMI uses to refer to products with the potential to reduce individual risk and population harm in comparison to smoking cigarettes. Through multidisciplinary capabilities in product development, state-of-the-art facilities, and industry-leading scientific substantiation, PMI aims to provide an RRP portfolio that meets a broad spectrum of adult smoker preferences and rigorous regulatory requirements.
Diversity and inclusion is one of our core values. PMI wants to work with the best talent available. Our diverse workforce of around 81,000 people speaks more than 80 languages. Our priority is to attract, support, and retain individuals from across the planet – no matter their age, gender, religion, sexual orientation, or physical ability. Our people are our greatest strength, and we're proud of our culture of openness and respect.
PMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information, see www.pmi.com and www.pmiscience.com