PMI’s Litigation and Investigations Group is responsible for managing the defense of product liability litigation of behalf of Philip Morris International Inc. and its affiliates (PMI), managing other litigation of company-wide significance, leading and conducting internal investigations, and administering the legal hold program.
This position reports to the Assistant General Counsel, Litigation & Investigations, and is based in New York, New York.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Help oversee and manage PMI’s product liability litigation caseload and other cases of company-wide significance focusing primarily on non-US jurisdictions. Specifically, develop and execute with other members of PMI’s Litigation & Investigations group PMI’s litigation strategy, manage discovery obligations, manage outside counsel, determine proper case disposition, and monitor litigation budgets expenses.
• Evaluating and managing pre-litigation disputes arising from the use of PMI products.
• Advise PMI business units concerning various matters, including product warnings, product use instructions, and risk mitigation strategies.
• Leading or participating in significant internal investigations.
• Assist in the identification, selection, and management of outside counsel to assure legal services are rendered to PMI that are results-oriented, timely, competent, and cost efficient.
Expected Areas of Competence
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Strong organizational and project-management skills
• Demonstrate with a high degree of professionalism, diplomacy, discretion, and judgment;
• Demonstrated experience with and technical knowledge of e-discovery;
• Complete comprehension of the civil litigation process from start to finish, including pleadings, discovery, motion practice, experts, and trials;
• Highly motivated, self-starter willing to work in fast-paced environment with a strong focus on collaboration;
• Demonstrated ability to operate independently and as part of a team; and
• Demonstrated ability to develop close working relationships with internal clients in which corporate goals and priorities are maintained without compromising legal integrity.
• Juris Doctor (law degree) from an American Bar Association accredited Law School required or international equivalent;
• Currently admitted in good standing to practice law in at least one state in the United States or international equivalent;
• Minimum of 6 years of law firm experience with an emphasis on complex litigation (at least some product liability litigation experience required).
WHO WE ARE
We are the world’s leading international tobacco company, with six of the top 15 international brands and products sold in more than 180 markets. In addition to the manufacture and sale of cigarettes, including the number one global cigarette brand, and other tobacco products, PMI is engaged in the development and commercialization of Reduced-Risk Products (“RRPs”). RRPs is the term PMI uses to refer to products with the potential to reduce individual risk and population harm in comparison to smoking cigarettes. Through multidisciplinary capabilities in product development, state-of-the-art facilities, and industry-leading scientific substantiation, PMI aims to provide an RRP portfolio that meets a broad spectrum of adult smoker preferences and rigorous regulatory requirements. For more information, see www.pmi.com and www.pmiscience.com.
WHY WORK FOR US?
Here are 3 reasons to work for PMI:
• We’re international: Our global workforce of more than 82,000 is one of our greatest strengths and our employees speak more than 80 languages
• We’re flexible: your work fits you and not the other way round, thanks to our Flexible Work Arrangement Program and
• We’re a certified top employer: This position will advance your experience with innovative technologies, services, and processes.
Backed by an attractive salary and compensation package, you will work in a professional setting with clients and team members from all over the world.