SHIFT LEADER – Philip Morris Manufacturing & Technology Bologna
Be a part of a revolutionary change
At PMI, we’ve chosen to do something incredible. We’re totally transforming our business, and building our future on smoke-free products with the power to improve the lives of a billion smokers worldwide.
With huge change, comes huge opportunity. So, wherever you join us, you’ll enjoy the freedom to dream up and deliver better, brighter solutions and the space to move your career forward in endlessly different directions.
Wherever you join our crucial 47,000-strong Operations team, you’ll have the opportunity to make an impact. PMI’s shift from selling cigarettes to our new smoke-free products has changed the way we work. New products bring new challenges – in the way we source and buy raw materials, in the way we engineer and manufacture, and in our supply chain planning.
Your ‘day to day’
As Shift Leader you will be part of our Manufacturing Department for Philip Morris Manufacturing & Technology Bologna S.p.A. and will be reporting to the Business Unit Manager. The position will be based in Bologna.
In your role, you will lead production activities and processes within the shift and the assigned team, inside the Value Stream in a consistent, streamlined and strategically aligned way, so that planned volumes are produced according to budgets and are totally compliant with safety and quality requirements.
In this position, you will also act as a role model on the shopfloor and sustain all the VS processes, supporting the VS and the BU organization in order to deliver all expected results and objectives, with the purpose to foster company business success.
Finally, you will assure the needed supervision on the shopfloor, to grant that Safety and Quality standards are continuously applied.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Ensure the delivery of shifts’ forecasted volumes on safety, quality and costs accordingly with shared and agreed daily scheduling to cope with the volumes indicated in the weekly & monthly production plan. Ensure the respect of safety, quality, process and housekeeping standards and best practices, through direct supervision and periodical auditing according to the Audit plans. Actively contribute to the organization of all activities in the Value Stream in order to meet volume & quality objectives, in a cost effective manner, with high focus on waste reduction. Identify, share and implement best practices amongst all shifts and areas. Ensure that the planned & needed maintenances are done in due time and with the adequate level of quality, strive for their improvement and for asset availability increase as per Maintenance KPIs goals.
- Ensure that people under his/her responsibility have the capability, knowledge and skills to execute manufacturing and logistics operations on safety, quality, and time through effective development plan and experiences (off-the job/on-job training activities,on the job experiences, projects, job rototation), in order to grant the delivery of the production volumes when and how they are needed and to achieve the business and people development objectives. Act as role model for his/her team, being present on the shopfloor and supporting issue resolution. Organize, supervise and coach work of the subordinates, define their training and development needs based on PMI and Factory career stages framework. Motivate and encourage their personal and professional development. Ensure continuous production process and compliance with labor law requirements and our Code of Conduct.
- Ensure the respect of quality standards through the Team discipline to the Standards, through the systems and the control on execution. Act directly as role model for Quality std respect. Monitor quality indicators on a constant basis, contributing to use and expose them, driving the Team to improve the Quality at first step and to seek for to eliminate quality issues. Deliver the due support in research, define and implement corrective/preventives actions in order to maintain and improve quality standards, gain customer satisfaction and to prevent non-conformities. Ensure preventive measures are implemented, quality related training and audit programs are executed, and emergency situations are managed.
- Cooperate with the VS Supervisors to sustain that all activities and processes in the Value Stream are organized and streamlined towards employees engagement and continuous performance improvement. Identify drawbacks and inefficiencies, contribute to measure them, drive action plans and implement corrective actions. Share within his/her team the best practices from other departments or affiliates, while contribute to share ours to our colleagues.
- Cooperate with entire VS/BU/Manufacturing organization or with other department teams in order to facilitate the introduction of new initiatives, projects and products in accordance with project plan, budgets and requirements, within his/her team/area. Assure that his/her Team is adequately trained and acknowledged about programs or innovations introduced in his/her team.
- Cohoperate with VS supervisors and with BU Managers in order to support Production Planning Departments and all Schedulers by providing input on production/maintenance scheduling in order to minimize adverse impact of brand changes, tests and trials, etc. towards improving resources utilization and productivity, Ensure that data is effectively converted into information and effectively analyzed, used autonomously by operative personnel for actions planning and execution, accordingly with their areas of responsibility. For this purpose, cooperate to define and drive consequential action across shifts to minimize downtimes and production losses, in a comprehensive, continuous and sustainable way. Support the VS supervisors and with BU Managers to formulate Operations Assumptions and input to Budget in an accurate and timely manner in order to ensure that correct and reliable information is submitted to interested parties.
- Ensure efficient relations through all levels of factory by developing effective working relationships with all employee groups, aiming to create positive attitude towards changes and challenges. Support Manufacturing, BU and VS organizations to create the environment that leads towards a good and effective working relationship with the Trade Union.
- Ensure full compliance with State legislation and company policies and procedures. Adhere to all Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) rules, policies and procedures. Pass through appropriate EHS trainings, apply received knowledge at work. Inspect others and use personal protective equipment as appropriate. Keep assigned areas clean and orderly. Ensure work conditions in department are in compliance with norms defined by legislation of the state and appropriate PPE are available and used. Work in close cooperation with EHS department, EHS Staff Functions and other Colleagues of the VS in order to define and put in place countermeasures to the risk found and develop and improve departmental safety and job procedures.
Requirements & Skills:
• College/University degree in Engineering/Technical/Scientific areas or Technical High School.
• Ability to lead and manage people, Clear understanding of resource management (people and costs), Demonstrated leadership in the areas of safety and quality, Interpersonal collaboration skills and seeks input from broader team
• Effective coaching and communication skills
• High level of personal responsibility and accountability for results.
• Ability to work with data, information, and problem solving skills. Familiarity with structured problem tools, such as, IPS, UPS and 6W2H
• Intermediate Microsoft Excel skills
• Demonstrated ability to assimilate technical data to support recommendations
• IMS skills: Demonstrate the ability to perform the IMS tools, methodology and daily management system as Line Lead and able to share with other
• Fluent in English and Italian both written and spoken
Grade level from: 7-8
Recruiter: Rita Gherardi
Employment Type: Local to local
Relocation package offered
What we offer
Our success depends on the men and women who come to work every single day with a sense of purpose and an appetite for progress. Join PMI and you too can:
• Seize the freedom to define your future and ours. We’ll empower you to take risks, experiment and explore.
• Be part of an inclusive, diverse culture, where everyone’s contribution is respected; collaborate with some of the world’s best people and feel like you belong.
• Pursue your ambitions and develop your skills with a global business – our staggering size and scale provides endless opportunities to progress.
• Take pride in delivering our promise to society: to improve the lives of a billion smokers.
Philip Morris Manufacturing & Technology Bologna (PM MTB)
PM MTB is Philip Morris International’s Center of excellence, worldwide recognized for prototyping, mass-volume production and employees’ training on smoke-free products. PM MTB employs more than 1000 employees and its production site of Crespellano is one of the most advanced manufacturing venues in Italy for technology innovation, competencies development and talent recognition. In 2019, Philip Morris Manufacturing & Technology Bologna has been awarded as Top Employer for the sixth year in a row. In the same year, was also granted the Equal Salary Certification certificate by the homonymous foundation to certify that men and women are paid equally for equivalent work.
Bring us your curiosity and a desire to challenge the everyday and we’ll give you lots of responsibility. You’ll help us improve, inject innovation and create new ways of working. You’ll be solving supply chain problems that span the whole world: a smoke-free world.