Intern “Production line Optimization trough Discrete Event Simulation”
Over the past three years, Philip Morris International (PMI) has made a dramatic pivot away from the marketing and sales of combustible cigarettes, and moved towards its Reduced-Risk Product (RRP) portfolio, focusing on its flagship product, IQOS. This launch of this product is PMI’s step forward to creating a smoke-free future for legal age consumers who continue to enjoy tobacco, but are seeking smoke-free alternatives. All of this has been accompanied by an organization-wide transformation in ways of working, culture, strategy, with emphasis on digital, technology and consumer.
Do you look for ways to learn and grow in an international environment? Do you want to build a remarkable career? Are you up for a 6-month challenge starting as of March 2020? Then apply now, we are looking for you!
Intern “Production line Optimization trough Discrete Event Simulation” for a 6-month challenge starting as of March 2020
Our Discrete Event Simulations, built in FlexSim have two main topics:
- The production line level – to assess and the number of operators needed based on the skills, the line efficiency, the reliability of the machines, the automation levels on the machines, the buffers sizes, the organizational structure, the materials delivery methods, the positioning of the materials on the line; to optimize the operations sequencing and the organizational structure considering the uncertainty of the failures and scraps
- The factory level – to optimize the material handling method, quantities to move, pickings, work in process, inventories in warehouses considering the production planning, the brand and format changes, the machines and equipment breakdowns and scraps bringing randomness to the process.
The candidate will retrieve data from different data sources and by contacting the correct figures inside of the company. He will then analyze the data, request for corrections and explanations and convert all the data for the simulation usage.
He will then populate the simulation with the data and run all the different required scenarios. He will also define some of the scenarios that can be simulated in order to experiment new solutions.
With the analysis of the simulations KPIs he will then be able to compare the optimization and investment opportunities for our production systems.
The successful candidate will contribute to the simulation models development and work with suppliers to enhance simulation environment.
This work will have a direct impact on the target to have the most efficient production system with elimination of waste and with the best usage of our resources.
Who we’re looking for a student with the following requirements:
- Data analysis and Excel proficiency
- Relational qualities and capacity to work autonomously in an international and distributed environment
- A good knowledge of production systems and material handling
- Programming capabilities, especially in C++ (FlexSim uses a specific language named FlexScript) is a plus
Philip Morris International: Building a Smoke-Free Future Philip Morris International (PMI) is leading a transformation in the tobacco industry to create a smoke-free future and ultimately replace cigarettes with smoke-free products to the benefit of adults who would otherwise continue to smoke, society, the company and its shareholders. PMI is a leading international tobacco company engaged in the manufacture and sale of cigarettes, smoke-free products and associated electronic devices and accessories, and other nicotine-containing products in markets outside the U.S. PMI is building a future on a new category of smoke-free products that, while not risk-free, are a much better choice than continuing to smoke. Through multidisciplinary capabilities in product development, state-of-the-art facilities and scientific substantiation, PMI aims to ensure that its smoke-free products meet adult consumer preferences and rigorous regulatory requirements. PMI's smoke-free IQOS product portfolio includes heated tobacco and nicotine-containing vapor products. As of Dec. 31, 2018, PMI estimates that approximately 6.6 million adult smokers around the world have already stopped smoking and switched to PMI’s heated tobacco product, which is currently available for sale in 44 markets in key cities or nationwide under the IQOS brand. For more information, see our PMI and PMIScience websites.
Find out more about this exciting opportunity – visit www.pmi.com today.
We are committed to equal pay by being an equal-salary certified employer globally.