The principle duty of Manager Scientific Communications (under Communications Function) is to help map and develop strong professional relationships with key scientific opinion leaders (KSOL), based on science and mutual scientiﬁc, educational, and philanthropic interests. Provide support to Communications Function by participating in communications strategy and supporting the development of communication materials. Provide relevant scientific training and product knowledge to internal departments if need be. Ensure compliance with applicable standard operating procedures, guidelines, & regulations.
As a member of the Communications Function, the job-holder also helps to marry brand and corporate communications as they help build and reinforce the PMI brand and its commitment to smoke-free products (or RRP – reduced-risk products) in-market and collaborate with other PMI communicators across the region and globe. They must possess prowess in consumer, corporate, crisis and advocacy comms, with an emphasis on PRing our products and our corporate reputation. They must be seamlessly integrated into the consumer journey, knowing how and when to leverage pop culture and current events to make our products relevant and interesting.
This job-holder will support the Director Communications on day-to-day work in relation to formulating, executing and sustaining a global media strategy for Philip Morris International (PMI) in Vietnam as PMI continues to amplify its transformation as a company committed to a smoke-free future. The communications function is viewed by PMI’s senior management as strategically critical to building on the company’s established success and reinforcing its reputation in a fast-changing, complex and competitive global media landscape.
We tell our product, financial, innovation and culture stories and engage consumer audiences on issues they care about, while working closely with other publicity and marketing groups to infuse these stories within their efforts. The person will be responsible for creating, managing and measuring the impact of communications campaigns targeting consumers, regulators and activists, groups that include members who are strongly anti-tobacco, which makes the work that much more challenging (and rewarding).
At the market level, this job-holder will work closely/cooperate with External Affairs/ Consumer Experience/ Commercial/ Digital and P&C – amongst other functions – on a daily basis. S/he will also help the Director Communications to manage product announcements and direct thought leadership around heat-not-burn technology/ heated tobacco products, culture and business matters, all in close collaboration with the office of the regional communications and other communications, publicity, marketing and policy colleagues around the world.
In addition, the job-holder should:
• Possess knowledge, expertise and experience in local scientific communication, have a global orientation; the ability to speak multiple languages is a plus
• Be able to work cross-functionally and build relationships inside and outside of the organization
• Support to build and maintain professional relationships with key scientific opinion leaders, key journalists and social media influencers, based on science and mutual scientiﬁc, educational, and philanthropic interests.
• Be capable and confident to serve as a company spokesperson in different cultural and media milieus (if need be)
• Be deeply familiar with, and enthusiastically curious about, technology, entertainment, intellectual property, privacy and other web issues
• Be an entrepreneurial self-starter who comes up with new approaches and is eager to try them out
• Have experience launching or managing movements, especially those that straddle the worlds of public and private communications (e.g., gender/sexual orientation rights, environmental issues, micro-philanthropy, health-related campaigns)
The KRA (Key Responsibility Areas):
• Plan and execute scientific engagement under communication strategies for both ad hoc and long-term projects to meet the purpose of smoke-free future under guideline of PMI Global Communications
• Localize the informative and interesting scientific materials (scientific evidence updates, studies, scientific press kits, newsletters, etc.) provided by PMI Global/Regional Communications and other independent third party sources.
• Support External Affairs Function in government outreach efforts
• Develop and maintain the relationship with identified stakeholders – including but not limited to healthcare professionals (HCPs), media, and consumers
• Perform day-to-day, weekly and monthly engagement with stakeholders to update them on the latest scientific data and communication materials
• Measure reaction of stakeholders toward PMI’s scientific data/ communication materials and propose the appropriate solutions
• Seek for speaking opportunities and opportunities to work with stakeholders in compliance with PMI’s policy
• Work with different functions to generate new ideas and strategies
• Propose logical working process to evaluate implementation efficiency for on-going quality of work improvement
• Liaise and leverage collaborative relationships with other regional/global Scientific Engagement job-holders in championing scientific engagement duties
• Collaborate with Communications Manager on day-to-day work in supervise all external and internal communication projects to guarantee all scientific content is publication-ready; propose plans to respond to communication-related issues in a timely manner; analyze crisis scenarios and propose the appropriate solutions matching with its level; and manage third parties relationship – including but not limited to service providers (ie. event organizers/sponsors) and other communities, associations and NGOs, etc.
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a similar role
• Ideally, Bachelor’s degree in medicine or pharmacy preferred, or public health and relevant fields
The person will report to the Director Communications and maintain a relationship with the Regional Director Communications and Head of Scientific Engagement, Asia.