Be a part of a revolutionary change
At Philip Morris International (PMI), we’ve chosen to do something incredible. We’re totally transforming our business and building our future with smoke-free products that have the power to improve the lives of a billion smokers worldwide.
With huge change, comes huge opportunity. So, wherever you join us, you’ll enjoy the freedom to dream up and deliver better, brighter solutions and the space to move your career forward in endlessly different directions.
Are you a solicitor or trademark attorney with IP experience gained in a law firm and/or in-house in an international company (or an international lawyer with equivalent qualifications and experience)? Are you driven by getting things done and making a difference? Do colleagues appreciate your collaboration, contribution and performance? If yes, this job might just be for you. We are hiring a Counsel to join our Trademarks, Copyright and Designs team.
As our work evolves, there’s space to define your role and satisfy your professional curiosity. You’ll be working across functions surrounded and supported by experts. Join us and use your relationship-building skills for good: to change the lives of a billion smokers.
Play an active role in the biggest transformation in the history of Phillip Morris International. We are committed to an impactful and dramatic change: replacing cigarettes with cutting edge, smoke-free products.
PMI’s Trademarks, Copyright and Designs group is spread over four locations around the world: Lausanne, London, New York and Hong Kong. We actively clear, protect and enforce our company’s trademarks, designs and copyright – and also provide the Phillip Morris business with IP advisory services. You will join the team based in London, at our Global Studio, located at One New Change.
Primarily, you will report to a Senior Counsel and support the Eastern European, Middle Eastern and African markets (EEMA); from time to time, there will also opportunities to be involved in central / global projects.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Working closely with internal clients and outside counsel to review and clear new pack designs, marketing material, innovations, main brands, sub-brands, product features, slogans and logos - including conducting online preliminary searches and reviewing and reporting full availability searches.
• Trademark portfolio management: managing and prosecuting our trademark portfolio – including handling significant registry objections such as non-distinctiveness and relative grounds objections.
• Actively running disputes: contentious matters before trademark registries (active and passive oppositions and cancellations) and the courts (infringement and cancellation actions).
• Advising the business on its day-to-day trademark, design and copyright queries – including the IP clauses of agreements.
• Supporting the business in relation to other IP related projects, such as licenses and assignments, trademark portfolio audits, copyright and domain name matters.
• Providing IP compliance training to market lawyers and marketing teams.
Required skills and experience:
• Qualification as a UK solicitor or trademark attorney, or as an international lawyer with equivalent qualifications
• Experience in trademark portfolio management and prosecution, including search opinions, trademark prosecution
• Experience of advising on trademark, copyright and designs matters, including enforcement / complex contentious matters
• Confidence in providing complex legal opinions and risk analysis, including trademark infringement assessments
• Excellent written communication skills
• Excellent English language, interpersonal and business counselling skills
WHY WORK FOR US?
Here are 3 reasons to work for PMI:
1. We’re international: Our global workforce of more than 82,000 is one of our greatest strengths and our employees speak more than 80 languages
2. We’re flexible: your work fits you and not the other way round, thanks to our Flexible Work Arrangement Program; and
3. We’re a certified top employer: This position will advance your experience with innovative technologies, services, and processes. Backed by an attractive salary and compensation package, you will work in a professional setting with clients and team members from all over the world. We are the first multinational Swiss company to obtain the Equal-Salary label, for men and women.
Philip Morris International: Building a Smoke-Free Future
PMI is leading a transformation in the tobacco industry to create a smoke-free future and ultimately replace cigarettes with smoke-free products to the benefit of adults who would otherwise continue to smoke, society, the company and its shareholders. PMI is a leading international tobacco company engaged in the manufacture and sale of cigarettes, smoke-free products and associated electronic devices and accessories, and other nicotine-containing products in markets outside the U.S. PMI is building a future on a new category of smoke-free products that, while not risk-free, are a much better choice than continuing to smoke. Through multidisciplinary capabilities in product development, state-of-the-art facilities and scientific substantiation, PMI aims to ensure that its smoke-free products meet adult consumer preferences and rigorous regulatory requirements. PMI’s smoke-free IQOS product portfolio includes heated tobacco and nicotine-containing vapor products. As of Dec. 31, 2018, PMI estimates that approximately 6.6 million adult smokers around the world have already stopped smoking and switched to PMI’s heated tobacco product, which is currently available for sale in 44 markets in key cities or nationwide under the IQOS brand. For more information, see our PMI and PMIScience websites.
PMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.