You may have heard of Philip Morris International (PMI), the world’s leading Tobacco Company and the maker of Marlboro – the undisputed number one cigarette brand in the world.
But PMI is about more than cigarettes. We’ve made a significant business decision to go “smoke-free” and work towards a world where non-combustible tobacco and nicotine products may one day replace cigarettes. Find out more on https://www.pmiscience.com/
Are you analytical and inquisitive? Will you make a difference to our company and your colleagues around you? We’re now laying the foundation to make our smoke-free vision a reality and we’re looking to recruit a talented Engineer to plan and carry activities for the Design Verification as well as failure investigation activities on Reduced Risk Products (RRP) and relative accessories through the application of scientific/engineering skills and knowledge. With special emphasis on product reliability and safety. You will be employed in Hong Kong under Philip Morris Asia Limited (PMAL). PMAL operates as a subsidiary of Philip Morris International, Inc.
RISE TO THE CHALLENGE
Your job scope will be divided into six different areas: Design Verification (DV), Reliability & safety, Defect management, Risk Assessment, Quality Management System (QMS) and finally Laboratory operations.
Design Verification (DV):
• Responsible to develop DV master plan & specific test plans related to his/her functional area (scopes, schedules & estimates); maintain plans, timetables and resource requirements to ensure that all activities meet the overall plan to demonstrate product compliance to Design Input requirements.
• Produce and review technical documents (test specifications, qualification reports, experimental plans and reports, design verification plans, design verification reports...) to enable the product to be effectively transferred to the manufacturing process.
• Develop test cases and Design of Experiments (DoE) for functional products characterization in order to ensure products/components meet quality requirements.
• Serve as technical or statistical resource for relevant aspects of projects/processes
• Define Critical to Quality Material Attributes (CQMA) and associated test plans.
• Liaise with operation team to agree on Process Control Strategy (e.g. ORT plan).
Reliability and Safety:
• Develop test protocols and methodologies to ensure safety and reliability of products
• Develop reliability test plan, including climate environment, mechanical environment, EMC, safety, Highly Accelerated Life Test and Highly Accelerated Stress Screen (HALT/HASS)
• Lead the development of specific test equipment required for reliability and safety testing
• Liaise with subject matter experts in a timely manner to address any deficiencies or defects found during testing.
• Maintain the defect tracking system and ensuring all fixed defects are properly tested and closed.
• Liaise with operation team and external partners to ensure CAPAs are implemented in timely manner.
• Develop the fault tree for new products ensuring a smooth handover to quality and markets.
• Perform design risk assessment (design FMEA) of the product in collaboration with cross-functional team.
• Liaise with operation team to transfer design FMEA outcomes for process FMEA.
• May participate to process FMEA sessions.
Quality Management System (QMS):
• Create/maintain Procedures (SOP) related to his/her functional area.
• Assist in best practices (BEP) creation/maintenance.
• Investigate appropriate new technologies to improve existing test methods.
• Liaise with external partners on the technical aspects relating to test equipment.
• Develop test methods for functional products characterization.
• Develop test method validation plan as required.
Essential Skills and competencies:
• Bachelor degree in Engineering or related.
• Minimum 6-10 years’ experience in Reliability Testing and/or Quality Engineering. (Relevant industries would be: consumer electronics products manufacturer, medical device manufacturer, scientific instrument manufacturer, automation products/services provider, design consultancy, accredited test house).
• Experience in mechanical, material, chemical and climatic reliability testing of consumer electronics devices
• Experience in safety and reliability assessment of battery operated hand-held consumer devices.
• Experience in functional (mechanical, electrical & physical properties) testing of materials and finished consumer products.
• Experience in consumer product failure analysis (root cause analysis) and defect management of embedded electronic systems.
• Experience in design risk assessment methodology.
• Experience certification process as well as associated directives and standards for Household electrical equipment.
Displaying the following traits would be an advantage:
• Analytical and inquisitive mindset.
• Ability to independently address technical problems where few precedents exist.
• Knowledge of statistics applied to reliability testing and sampling plan in a large volume production environment, Six Sigma Black Belt is a plus
• Ability to tailor technical message to various audience
• Well-developed interpersonal and communications skills essential for working in multi-functional teams.
• Cultural awareness and sensitivity and able to interact and collaborate with a wide range of colleagues and development partner
• Fluency in spoken and written English is a must.
JOIN A GLOBAL MARKET LEADER
Philip Morris International: Building a Smoke-Free Future
Philip Morris International (PMI) is leading a transformation in the tobacco industry to create a smoke-free future and ultimately replace cigarettes with smoke-free products to the benefit of adults who would otherwise continue to smoke, society, the company and its shareholders. PMI is a leading international tobacco company engaged in the manufacture and sale of cigarettes, smoke-free products and associated electronic devices and accessories, and other nicotine-containing products in markets outside the U.S. PMI is building a future on a new category of smoke-free products that, while not risk-free, are a much better choice than continuing to smoke. Through multidisciplinary capabilities in product development, state-of-the-art facilities and scientific substantiation, PMI aims to ensure that its smoke-free products meet adult consumer preferences and rigorous regulatory requirements. PMI's smoke-free IQOS product portfolio includes heated tobacco and nicotine-containing vapor products. As of Mar 31, 2019, PMI estimates that approximately 7.3 million adult smokers around the world have already stopped smoking and switched to PMI’s heated tobacco product, which is currently available for sale in 47 markets in key cities or nationwide under the IQOS brand. For more information, see our PMI and PMIScience websites.