- IQOS innovative technology heats tobacco without burning, generating a nicotine containing vapour that yields on average less than 10% of the levels of harmful constituents found in cigarette smoke.
- IQOS is the result of over a decade of research on a range of potentially reduced-risk
alternatives to cigarettes conducted by more than 430 scientists and experts in PMI’s R&D facilities in Switzerland. Investment to date exceeds $3 billion.
- Over one million cigarette smokers have already switched to IQOS since its initial pilot launch in Nagoya, Japan and Milan, Italy in 2014.
- IQOS does not produce smoke or ash and the vapour has far less smell than cigarette smoke. It complements PMI’s portfolio of non-combustible alternatives to cigarettes in the UK which already includes e-cigarettes like Vivid and MESH by Nicocig.Wednesday 30 November 2016, London: Philip Morris Limited (PM UK), a subsidiary of Philip Morris International Inc. (PMI) is today launching its innovative product, IQOS, in the UK with the opening of a store in central London. IQOS is an electronic device that heats specially designed tobacco sticks at temperatures well below combustion levels. As it heats but does not burn tobacco, IQOS generates no smoke or ash but a flavourful vapour containing nicotine, which does not adversely affect indoor air quality and produces less smell than cigarette smoke.
*Note to editor: Philip Morris International (PMI) scientific studies on IQOS
PMI employs over 430 scientists, experts and staff whose responsibilities include conducting extensive studies to verify whether IQOS reduces risks of smoking related diseases compared to cigarette smoking. Studies are designed according to well-recognised practices of the pharmaceutical industry and in line with US Food and Drug Administration Guidance for MRTPs (Modified Risk Tobacco Products). They include laboratory research, clinical studies with adult smokers, and research to understand the potential benefits of the product for public health, including how smokers perceive
the product’s risk and how they use the product in real-life conditions. Studies continue once the product is on the market. Key findings to date include the following:
- IQOS vapour contains on average 90-95% lower levels of harmful and potentially harmful constituents – excluding nicotine – compared to cigarette smoke from a reference cigarette designed for scientific research purposes.
- As measured in laboratory models, the vapour generated by IQOS is significantly less toxic than cigarette smoke.
- Smokers who switched completely to IQOS in two one-week and two three-month clinical studies reduced their exposure to 15 harmful constituents. Levels of reduced exposure approached those observed in people who stopped smoking for the duration of the studies.
- IQOS use does not adversely affect indoor air quality and IQOS is not a source of second-hand smoke.
Such results give confidence that PMI is on course with its plans to demonstrate that IQOS is a less harmful alternative for smokers who switch.
More information on PMI’s scientific research can be found on the PMI Science website.
About Philip Morris International:
Philip Morris International Inc. (PMI) is the leading international tobacco company, with six of the world's top 15 international brands, including Marlboro, the number one cigarette brand worldwide. PMI's products are sold in more than 180 markets. In addition PMI is engaged in the development and commercialisation of a range of products with the potential to reduce individual risk and population harm in comparison to smoking cigarettes (or RRPs – Reduced-Risk Products). Besides IQOS, PMI’s portfolio of non-combustible products includes the MESH and Vivid brands of its e-cigarette business
Nicocigs Ltd, based in Birmingham. For more information, see www.pmi.com.
Philip Morris Limited:
Philip Morris Limited is the UK and Ireland affiliate of PMI. The company is responsible for the merchandising of PMI brands in the UK.
For media enquiries in the UK
Please contact the UK Press Office:
Phone: 020 3327 4072
For international media enquiries
Philip Morris International Press Office
Lausanne, Switzerland (Central European Time (GMT +1))
Phone: +41 (0)58 242 45 00