Philip Morris Polska S.A. today announced at an official ceremony in Krakow that it will invest more than PLN 150 million (approximately USD 50 million) in the region of Małopolska for the construction of new manufacturing and office facilities that will house the production of tobacco for roll-your-own cigarettes. The investment is expected to create close to 700 new jobs over the next few years, subject to the successful completion of the investment process and market conditions. The construction of the new facilities is expected to be completed by mid-2014. The company currently employs nearly 3,000 people and has invested to date over PLN 1,5 billion (USD 500 million) in Poland.
Commenting on today’s announcement,Olek Grzesiak, Managing Director Philip Morris Poland and Baltic States, said “I am really pleased that Krakow was chosen by Philip Morris International (PMI) for yet another investment, which will further strengthen the position of our business in Poland and our ability to continue to compete efficiently and effectively in the European market.”
“The decision to start constructing new manufacturing and office facilities in Krakow was made due to the growth of our business in Poland. Over the past ten years, our Krakow factory’s cigarette production volume has increased from 30 billion to over 50 billion cigarettes per year and is still growing with about 70 percent of production destined for exports today.”– added Grzesiak.
Key to choosing Krakow for this new investment is the competitiveness and efficiency of the existing factory, as well as Philip Morris Polska’s strong expertise with tobacco products manufacturing, including its highly qualified staff of engineers, technicians and machine operators.
“I am proud that our factory was selected for this new, significant investment. The factory expansion will allow us to increase our production capacity by up to about 30% and create new jobs in the process” – said Marek Kalinowski, Director Operations.
The planned investment project will be carried out using the most modern technologies, equipment and technical solutions that meet Philip Morris International’s high quality standards and reduce any potential impact on the local environment and community.
# # #
About Philip Morris Polska S.A.
Philip Morris Polska S.A, an affiliate of Philip Morris International Inc. (PMI), is the largest tobacco company in Poland, with a 2012 market share of 37.1% (source: Nielsen) and one of the largest employers with nearly 3,000 employees throughout the country, including approximately 2,400 in Krakow itself. The company produces three of the ten best-selling brands in Poland, including Marlboro and L&M. Philip Morris Polska S.A. cooperates with more than 4,000 tobacco farmers and is one of the largest taxpayers in the country and in the region of Małopolska. In accordance with prestigious rankings such as Lista 500 of Rzeczpospolita newspaper and Lista 500 of Polityka weekly magazine, the company belongs to the elite group of 20 leading companies operating in Poland.
At present, the factory in Krakow is one of PMI’s largest factories in the European Union. About 30% of the cigarettes produced in the factory in Czyżyny in Krakow are sold in the Polish market, while the remaining 70% are exported to some 70 markets around the world, including France, Italy, Hungary, Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore.
About Philip Morris International Inc.
Philip Morris International Inc. (PMI) is the leading international tobacco company, with seven of the world’s top 15 international brands, including Marlboro, the number one cigarette brand worldwide. PMI’s products are sold in more than 180 markets. In 2012, the company held an estimated 16.3% share of the total international cigarette market outside of the U.S., or 28.8% excluding the People’s Republic of China and the United States. For more information, see www.pmi.com.
PMI is the world’s leading international tobacco company, with six ot the world’s top 15 international brands and products sold in more than 180 markets. In addition to the manufacture and sale of cigarettes, including Marlboro, the number one global cigarette brand, and other tobacco products, PMI is engaged in the developement and commercialization of Reduced-Risk Products (RRPs). RRPs is the term PMI uses to refer to products with the potential to reduce individual risk and population harm in comparison to smoking cigarettes. Through multidisciplinary capabalities in product development, state-of-the-art facilities, and indusrty-leading scientific substantiation, PMI aims to provide an RRP portfolio that meets a broad spectrum of adult smoker preferences and rigorous regulatory requirements.