Purpose of the job
The incumbent is responsible for developing and executing scientific engagement strategies and plans for the Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg markets (BENELUX) to increase the knowledge and understanding within the scientific and medical community of PMI’s scientific approach on ‘Reduced Risk Products (RRP’s)’ that should ultimately help ensure the creation of regulatory frameworks that are based on the continuum of risk between different (tobacco) products. He/she directs and controls high impact scientific engagement strategies and serves as a key subject matter expert in the execution of those strategies. He/she also conceives and produces BENELUX specific engagement materials in collaboration with Science & Innovation (S&I) and External Affairs (EA) stakeholders. The incumbent acts as a key resource for external and internal scientific communications and facilitates understanding of complex scientific concepts across a broad audience (scientific and non-scientific).
1. Develop and execute market-specific engagement objectives, strategies and plans in collaboration with market, HQ and regional External Affairs & Science & Innovation teams.
2. Develop and maintain customized local scientific messaging and content related to all Philip Morris S&I activities which can be shared with the external scientific community, tobacco control advocates and non-scientific stakeholders, including policy makers.
3. Identify and/or create scientific networking opportunities, create local plans to capitalise on these opportunities and execute in collaboration with market, regional, and global EA & S&I teams.
4. Serve as a primary knowledge resource for BENELUX colleagues on PMI Reduced Risk Products (RRP) science, providing on-going support to ensure currency of knowledge.
5. Serve as a primary scientific spokesperson for external and media scientific communications.
6. Advise and take part in the recruitment and development of high calibre scientific consultants to support scientific engagement activities.
1. Developing new and tailored approaches to communicate on PMI’s science on RRP’s to a broad set of stakeholders in a generally hostile external environment.
2. Staying up-to-date on emerging internal scientific approaches and data, and external scientific, regulatory and political environment.
3. Applying cross-functional program management skills to obtain results with a wide variety of senior internal and external stakeholders.
Skills & competencies
Minimum BSc or equivalent in a scientific discipline, ideally in life sciences or medical-related field (e.g. medicine, pharmacy, pharmacology)
At least 5 years’ experience in life sciences or pharmaceutical industry, ideally in Medical Affairs e.g. Medical Communications, Regulatory Affairs, Medical Science Liaison or Medical Information. Several years’ experience at a management level, including significant experience in managing complex cross-functional projects and senior and multi-disciplinary stakeholders. Experience of public speaking and media engagement would be an advantage.
• Language: fluent in English, Dutch and preferably French
• Proven communication skills (oral and written) at expert level