We’ve built the world’s most successful cigarette company, with the world’s most popular and iconic brands. Now we’ve made a dramatic decision. We will be far more than a leading cigarette company. We’re building PMI’s future on smoke-free products that are a much better choice than cigarette smoking.
As PMI continues to amplify its transformation as a company committed to a smoke-free future, it views communications as strategically critical to building on the company’s established success and reinforcing its reputation in a fast-changing, complex and competitive global media landscape. We tell our product, financial, innovation and culture stories and engage consumer audiences on issues they care about, while working closely with other publicity and marketing groups to infuse these stories within their efforts.
As a result, the Global Communications department is also rapidly transforming itself. This includes moving to a real-time response system focused on all of our customers and their needs; embracing an omnichannel world where news can be created by anyone, anywhere, anytime; respecting policies of governments while working hard to promote our better-for-you programs around IQOS and heated tobacco products; and doing our best to build sustainable business practices consistent with 21st-century values.
You are responsible for overseeing the Scientific Engagement (SE) team to ensure that the global plans are defined and the strategy is implemented on a market-specific basis. You will handle the team developing engagement tools and materials, collaborating with colleagues from R&D, Communications and External Affairs (EA). You will act as a key resource for external and internal scientific communications and facilitate understanding of complex scientific concepts across a broad audience. This role will be based at Philip Morris Products SA in Neuchatel, Switzerland (the CUBE).
• Translate the science into the Scientific Engagement tools & materials that are needed to deliver on the strategic initiatives and plans. Aligning and distributing the work and materials to the Scientific Engagement team, R&D and the global scientific engagement community.
• Consolidate the global and local materials ensuring that the global materials are contextualize to support market-level scientific engagement strategies, objectives, and plans. To ensure the scientific integrity while addressing the market-specific needs - in collaboration with the communications and external affairs teams in the markets, regions and headquarters.
• Direct the collaboration between the teams (EA, Digital, Communications, R&D, Markets, and Strategic Initiatives) to strategically execute the engagement plans. Helping to develop and maintain consistency through the different tools to support Scientific Engagement and Communications (website, repository of materials, engagement planning, stakeholder mapping).
• Build and maintain scientific engagement mapping from a global, regional and market-level to maximize the opportunity and impact of our engagements on tobacco harm reduction, scientific assessment and approach, public health and policy. To help identify and develop key opinion leaders to engage on tobacco harm reduction.
• Create scientific networking opportunities and events to facilitate and support headquarters, regional, and market specific strategic plans, and capitalize on these opportunities and execute together with appropriate stakeholders.
• Develop training to build and increase the capacity within the company to engage on our science (internal R&D scientists, and the local teams).
• Lead the team that supports and conducts Scientific Engagement visits to our RnD center (the CUBE), as an engagement tool for EA, SE, scientific and commercial objectives - ensuring that materials are developed to be aligned with the visit/engagement objectives.
QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS
• University degree in a scientific discipline
• Multi-/cross-function team management experience
• Experience in a regulated global life sciences company,
• Ability to lead partnerships internally/externally with senior leaders across different landscapes
Philip Morris International: Delivering a Smoke-Free Future
Philip Morris International (PMI) is leading a transformation in the tobacco industry to create a smoke-free future and ultimately replace cigarettes with smoke-free products to the benefit of adults who would otherwise continue to smoke, society, the company and its shareholders. PMI is a leading international tobacco company engaged in the manufacture and sale of cigarettes, smoke-free products and associated electronic devices and accessories, and other nicotine-containing products in markets outside the U.S. PMI is building a future on a new category of smoke-free products that, while not risk-free, are a much better choice than continuing to smoke. Through multidisciplinary capabilities in product development, state-of-the-art facilities and scientific substantiation, PMI aims to ensure that its smoke-free products meet adult consumer preferences and rigorous regulatory requirements. PMI's smoke-free IQOS product portfolio includes heat-not-burn and nicotine-containing vapor products. As of March 31, 2019, PMI estimates that approximately 7.3 million adult smokers around the world have already stopped smoking and switched to PMI’s heat-not-burn product, which is currently available for sale in 44 markets in key cities or nationwide under the IQOS brand. For more information, please visit www.pmi.com and www.pmiscience.com.
PMI is an equal-opportunity employer.