UTILITIES ENGINEER – Philip Morris Manufacturing & Technology Bologna
Be a part of a revolutionary change
At PMI, we’ve chosen to do something incredible. We’re totally transforming our business, and building our future on smoke-free products with the power to improve the lives of a billion smokers worldwide.
With huge change, comes huge opportunity. So, wherever you join us, you’ll enjoy the freedom to dream up and deliver better, brighter solutions and the space to move your career forward in endlessly different directions.
Wherever you join our crucial 47,000-strong Operations team, you’ll have the opportunity to make an impact. PMI’s shift from selling cigarettes to our new smoke-free products has changed the way we work. New products bring new challenges – in the way we source and buy raw materials, in the way we engineer and manufacture, and in our supply chain planning.
Your ‘day to day’
As UTILITIES ENGINEER you will report to the Supervisor IFMS and will be part of our Engineering department for Philip Morris Manufacturing & Technology Bologna. The position will be based in Bologna - Zola Predosa.
In your role, you will ensure continuous and safe operation of utilities equipment and systems via proper organization and coordination of employees and/or outsourced services and ensure that all contracted services are delivered on time, at reasonable cost and in full compliance with PMI standards, EHS norms and local legislation requirements. You will also grant minimal energy consumptions and minimize others costs related with utilities operations. Monitor energy processes and energy consumption with main aim to optimize it. Finally, you will organize, plan and monitor execution of preventive, corrective maintenance and repair of all utility installations in order to secure continuous production, high productivity and excellent quality of utilities, keeping costs minimized.
• Adheres 100% to all EHS policies and procedures. Respect health and safety legislation requirements. Comply with ISO 9001, ISO 14001, ISO 18001, PMI QMS requirements. Coordinate, check and approve work requests within defined timelines and resources. Perform measuring, audits and other tasks in accordance with the stipulated safety rules and regulations with the use of individual protection means (e.g. glasses, gloves, helmet, safety shoes and ears protection) for him and site contractors. In cooperation with EHSS department, coordinate all energy inspections and revisions required by state authorities. Follow up the outcomes of these inspections and initiate all needed reactive interventions. Control that all technical norms, standards, directives and instructions are followed with main aim to ensure keeping of EHSS rules.
• Ensure correct operation and maintenance of utilities equipment and systems in order to have uninterrupted supply of electricity, steam, gas, water and other energy sources for the site. Monitor and optimize operation of engineering systems equipment to ensure rational use of energy sources. Develop maintenance strategies. Ensure accurate input, update and completion of maintenance plans and activities. Ensure availability and update of equipment documentation. Initiate modifications and up-grades of equipment that improve efficiency and participates in the implementation. Ensure proper reporting according to local legislation and PMI procedures.
• Support preparation and implementation of all utilities projects. Prepare all necessary technical data for external suppliers as well as for project and asset engineers. Cooperate to implement new / approved factory projects and ensure required support. Keep abreast of new technologies and investigate them for possible future implementation in the site, always taking into consideration energy/water consumption figures with the ultimate goal to reduce consumption, minimizing costs and impacting positively the environment.
• Prepare proper analysis related to the costs of the utilities operation and maintenance in order to ensure accurate preparation of the annual and LRP budgets. Initiate, plan and ensure development and implementation of productivity initiatives based on efficient utilization of budgetary funds and targeting optimum balance between cost, quality, service, safety and security. Periodically control budget spending, propose actions in order to allow Facility Management to undertake corrective and improvement measures. Collect, analyze and report total energy, electricity, gas, compressed air, steam and water consumption values as well maintenance costs monthly.
• Stay up to date on modern technologies in Engineering. Implement improvements and upgrades for Building Management System software and hardware. Conduct feasibility studies related to improvement of existing utilities, analyze effectiveness of technical solutions in order to develop short and long term plans for effective factory operations. Organizes testing of emergency utility equipment and networks thus guaranteeing their reliable functionality
• Manage, update and optimize all energy processes including environment aspects and impacts. Responsible for monitoring water consumption, wastewater discharge and CO2 air emissions and follow-up of environmental projects with respect to the legal requirements. In order to achieve continuous improvement of the environmental management system, prepares the Environmental Long Range Plans. Analyze outputs and achievements of these processes and implement corrective interventions to achieve energy targets and standards in compliance with legal, PMI and EHSS requirements. Ensure effective energy consumption. Actively look for the next occasion in energy consumption savings and energy cost reduction (EPI). Establish new energy measurements, methods and data gathering in order to minimize costs. Check and control all activities connected with utilities operation to ensure compliance with legal requirements.
• Prepare failure mode analysis for utilities breakdowns. Follow up on implementation of corrective actions. Supervise, organize, control and evaluate the work of in-house or outsourced personnel, ensures that they are motivated and advise on their professional training to enable them performing all their duties. Instruct personnel under coordination as per contractor qualification matrix and ensures that all relevant procedures, instructions and good manufacturing practices are applied in daily work in order to continuously assure the demands of production and client needs. Make sure all Change Management procedures are respected and applied.
• Ensure integral conformity with relevant legislation, Philip Morris policies and procedures and achieve the annual objectives established during the annual performance evaluation process.
• Take responsibility for the completion of his own individual training plan and complies with the requirements established in the Qualification Matrix.
Who we’re looking for
• University degree in Engineering (Civil/Building construction/Electrical/Mechanical )
• More than 3 years’ professional experience in Engineering department, industrial environment and/or facility management / utilities operation.
• Desired experience in asset management, contractors management, electrical systems, utilities equipment. Formal education in utilities processes and/or equipment is a plus.
• Previous project management experience or formal education in PMP is a plus.
• Team work, action oriented, analytical thinking, priority setting, problem solving, customer orientation, composure, listening and communication skills
• Fluent in English and Italian, both written and spoken.
Grade level from: 7-9
Recruiter: Rita Gherardi
Employment Type: Local to local
Relocation package offered
What we offer
Our success depends on the men and women who come to work every single day with a sense of purpose and an appetite for progress. Join PMI and you too can:
• Seize the freedom to define your future and ours. We’ll empower you to take risks, experiment and explore.
• Be part of an inclusive, diverse culture, where everyone’s contribution is respected; collaborate with some of the world’s best people and feel like you belong.
• Pursue your ambitions and develop your skills with a global business – our staggering size and scale provides endless opportunities to progress.
• Take pride in delivering our promise to society: to improve the lives of a billion smokers.
Philip Morris Manufacturing & Technology Bologna (PM MTB)
PM MTB is Philip Morris International’s Center of excellence, worldwide recognized for prototyping, mass-volume production and employees’ training on smoke-free products. PM MTB employs more than 1000 employees and its production site of Crespellano is one of the most advanced manufacturing venues in Italy for technology innovation, competencies development and talent recognition. In 2019, Philip Morris Manufacturing & Technology Bologna has been awarded as Top Employer for the sixth year in a row. In the same year, was also granted the Equal Salary Certification certificate by the homonymous foundation to certify that men and women are paid equally for equivalent work.
Bring us your curiosity and a desire to challenge the everyday and we’ll give you lots of responsibility. You’ll help us improve, inject innovation and create new ways of working. You’ll be solving supply chain problems that span the whole world: a smoke-free world.