INTERNATIONAL & USA PRESS INQUIRIES
Please contact David Fraser for international media inquiries
January 27, 2021
Philip Morris International Named to the 2021 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index, Recognizing Company’s Commitment to Advancing Gender Equity
“I am delighted that PMI has been named to the 2021 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index for our focus on advancing gender equity,” said
The Bloomberg GEI measures gender equality across five pillars: female leadership and talent pipeline, equal pay and gender pay parity, inclusive culture, sexual harassment policies, and pro-women brand. PMI is one of 380 companies across 11 sectors included in this year’s index, all of which scored at or above a global threshold established by Bloomberg to reflect a high level of disclosure and overall performance across the framework’s pillars. PMI’s recognition stems from the host of efforts it has made in recent years, including:
- Setting a global company-wide target to improve gender balance to at least 40 percent female representation in management by 2022 and measuring and reporting progress against it;
Becoming the first EQUAL-SALARY globally certified company (
March 2019), confirming equal pay for equal work for women and men everywhere PMI operates (90+ countries);
- Appointing a Chief Diversity Officer, who reports directly to the CEO;
- Addressing gender bias in talent assessments—including in recruitment, performance management, and opportunities for promotion;
- Offering flexible working arrangements for employees and supporting women and men in better balancing work and family commitments with parental leave; and
- Celebrating top female talent as role models and offering formal and informal opportunities for women to build valuable connections for support, learning, and mentoring.
“The companies included in the 2021 GEI are expanding the ESG data universe to include gender-related data that investors are demanding today,” said
The Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index (GEI)
The Bloomberg GEI brings transparency to gender-related practices and policies at publicly listed companies, increasing the breadth of environmental, social, governance (ESG) data available. Companies included in this year’s index scored at or above a global threshold established by Bloomberg to reflect a high level of disclosure and overall performance across the framework’s five pillars.
Both the framework and the GEI are voluntary and have no associated costs. The GEI is a reference index and is not for use as a financial benchmark. The index is not ranked.
Through disclosure of gender-related metrics using the GEI framework, companies included in the 2021 GEI have committed to providing a comprehensive look at their investment in workplace gender equality and the communities in which they operate, raising the bar of what should be expected from other companies within the same industry. For more information, please visit https://www.bloomberg.com/gei/about/.
# # #
T. +41 (0)79 843 8603